INTUITIVE SURVIVAL

Personal stories showing how intuition, signs, awareness and divination are used to give direction and aid survival in daily life, relationships and crises.

August 09, 2013

Relevance deprivation syndrome

Retirement for most people, even if they had a lousy job, is not always a blessed experience and for someone like Bessie who had a CEO position it is a very sad experience which manifested in typical relevance deprivation syndrome behavior.

"The company I served for two decades wanted a generation change and I was given the golden handshake," says Bessie. "It was a terrible blow to my self-esteem and with long years of increasing oblivion stretching ahead of me, I felt totally lost."

"At first I consoled myself by moving into a beautiful home and stocking the library with all the books I had promised myself I'd read one day," says Bessie, "but after flick reading reports for all of my life I found it impossible to concentrate."

"Then I started work on the garden, like so many of my retired friends are doing, but I found no joy whatsoever in getting my hands dirty," laughs Bessie. "I'm a head person, I work with my head, not my hands."

"Just when I was about to do the big trip thing I received a call from my successor asking for advice and I perked up immediately," says Bessie, "but getting involved in my old life was the worst possible thing I could do."

"I fell into the trap of feeling I was still needed and could very well make a come-back and in that delusional state I started giving unsolicited advice," sighs Bessie. "Finally, when my calls weren't returned it was like a slap in the face."

"Worse was to come when I lost the company vehicle and other perks," says Bessie. "I thought these were part of my retirement package but apparently I didn't read the fine print too well."

"I answered a knock on the door one day and was told by some flunky that he's come to take possession of my prized motor vehicle," sighs Bessie, "and then I received an official letter cancelling my travel allowance. Bang went the big trip."

"Of course I can afford to buy myself a new car and take any number of overseas trips", says Bessie, "but it's the principle of losing privileges that I had grown accustomed to that upset me so much."

"And then came the day when I met a former colleague when I was in the city keeping a dental appointment and he didn't recognize me," sighs Bessie. "I don't think he acted blank on purpose -- he genuinely didn't recognize me and that's not because I looked any different. It's because I had ceased to exist as a person to him and to everyone else at the company."

"When someone mentioned the relevance deprivation syndrome to me I denied that I was a victim of it," says Bessie, "but I guess that's exactly what my problem was."

"I don't have any relevance any more in the company I served for two decades and it still hurts and will probably continue hurting for the rest of my life."

"Unlike some politicians and some ex-CEOs who can spend the rest of their lives dining out for free on their past glories," says Bessie, "I have to face the fact that I am not in this league."

"It's not even worth my while to write about my life as a CEO -- or the world of business in general," says Bessie. "That sort of thing has been done to death by others and if my ex-colleagues are not interested in me and my advice then why would anyone else be interested?"

"I suppose I should be thankful that I reached the top level of the company and received a very generous retirement package -- even without the perks I lost," says Bessie, "but as much as I realized that retirement would come one day I never imagined it would be so empty."

"I suppose that's the price all high-profile people have to pay when they face retirement," says Bessie. "A professor can retire to his books, a mom to her grand-kids and someone who works with his or her hands is always going to find something to do in retirement."

"Without underlings or an audience to maintain one's importance, high-profile people pushed onto the retirement scrapheap are very sad people living very sad lives," says Bessie, "and if I were in a position of power right now I'd ensure that all high fliers were given counseling as part of their retirement packages."



Copyright 2006-2014 Intuitive Survival