INTUITIVE SURVIVAL

Personal stories showing how intuition, signs, awareness and divination are used to give direction and aid survival in daily life, relationships and crises.

August 09, 2013

Dealing with technological change

Like a lot of retirees, Bronwyn, 71, has taken up computing as a hobby but she is not a technical genius and is becoming increasingly annoyed by the constant requirement to update her software.

"I know that my browser is not the most up-to-date version, with all the bells and whistles," says Bronwyn, "but I become so annoyed when I visit some sites and get sent warning notices saying that I will not be able to access the site fully with my browser."

"For one thing," says Bronwyn, "how do they know what browser I'm using? It's like looking up my skirts or something when I get those messages - I feel almost violated to know that another PC is reading from my PC!"

As an indication of the capacity of Bronwyn’s old browser, she can play java enabled Yahoo Games, use IRC, e-mail and all of the search engines without any problems whatsoever.

It is only the very new sites, utilizing cutting-edge technology, that send Bronwyn the warning messages she hates so much.

Not wanting to be regarded as technically challenged Bronwyn very tentatively downloaded the latest version of her browser.

"I hate changing anything," says Bronwyn. "I am a creature of habit and I was quite happy with my old browser, but if I wanted to enjoy all the new features on the Net then I knew I had to get an update."

The downloading process was problem free, but during the installation process Bronwyn received a fatal error message.

"At these times," laughs Bronwyn, "it's time to consult with a technical genius - my son. The only trouble is, though, that he lives a fair distance away and gaining his assistance is a real test of motherly patience."

His verdict was that Bronwyn also needed a Windows update.

Furthermore, to facilitate the installation of both of these updates she would need to untie the umbilical cord between herself and her PC.

Faced with the prospect of being without her computer for a few days, or weeks, or months, even years -- she was dealing with her son here, remember -- Bronwyn opted instead to buy a second PC.

"Not a new one, a second-hand one," explains Bronwyn. "And having two computers at home makes me look like a real Net Head!"

"Having two computers -- one for personal use and one for Internet use -- is a very good idea if you can afford it," says Bronwyn. "If all your personal stuff is on a second computer, you don't have to worry about hackers and if something goes wrong with one you always have a second one handy."

Bronwyn was lucky that she could afford such an extraordinary luxury as a second PC -- she has an above average retirement package -- but she admits that she would prefer to spend her money on other things.

"If a simple browser update is going to lead to a major Windows update then very few women are going to have the technical expertise to do this," says Bronwyn, "and those who do have the expertise should know by now that a lot of other problems are likely to pop up in the updating process."

"Re-starting the PC does not always resolve a crash," says Bronwyn, "and some PCs are just lemons from the first day you buy them. Even with virus protection, there is no easy way to tell, either, if your PC has picked up a new virus - and the costs of repairing virus damage can be astronomical."

"I have a refrigerator at home that's over twenty-five years old and it's never needed an update," says Bronwyn. "Why can't PCs be like this?"

"Getting online and getting into computers is a wonderful hobby for retirees who don't have a garden to keep them occupied," says Bronwyn, "but it's an industry run by and geared towards young things who love change and novelty."

"Bearing in mind the astronomical number of Baby Boomers set to retire in the future, the bright young techie who gears his market towards the oldies is going to do very well."

"Anyone out there listening?"


Copyright 2006-2014 Intuitive Survival